Monday, December 21, 2009

A messy weekend.

Well this weekend didn't go at all as planned.  Me writing this at 4am should be the first sign of that considering I haven't slept yet.  This is how the entire weekend went really.  Last night it was some time after 5am when I went to sleep, to get up a little after 9.

Moving on.  So my plan for the weekend was 8 miles Friday, 4 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.  Of course that isn't how it went at all, but the good news is it was still a solid weekend of training.  Well it was good in my opinion for where I am at.  I got in just over 8 miles Friday night which I had mention in a previous post, Saturday I felt pretty good which was encouraging, instead of the 4 mile run I planned on I got talked into doing 7 with Jim Johnson.  My thought process on it was with 8 to 12 inches of snow expected for Sunday it was not only going to make running tougher because I would unlikely be able to run on any clear pavement.  I figured if I'm going to do the longest run since I've started training again I should probably try to get it done in favorable conditions.  I decided that back to back "long" runs of 8 and 7 were a pretty good substitute for missing a 10 miler with rest.  The 7 miles was pretty good and I actually ran much faster than I thought.  It turned out to be just over 7:30 pace.  It obviously helped quite a bit to run it with Jim I'm sure I would have been close to 8 minute miles had I run it alone.

So that was Saturday, now on Sunday I spent the morning shoveling then was starving so I sat and had breakfast while I watched NFL pregame shows.  While I watched football I decided I'd do my run "later" with no specific time in mind or where I'd run.  Finally 9pm rolled around and I started to get ready.  I decided it was late enough to just go out on the back roads around my house.  Conditions weren't too bad but it helped quite a bit that there weren't many cars on the road.  I didn't measure out the run and i don't think I will.  I ran for 32:29 and I'm going to call it 4 miles. The first 2 miles of the run my legs felt like trash, it was a real struggle just to get going.  At one point I thought they were finally loosening up as I went down a hill but as it flattened out I realized they were still junk.  Maybe 5 minutes or so after that I finally started to feel better, better but not good.  Fitness wise I could have kept going but with how my legs felt I didn't want to  push things, they are a little beat up as it is and I certainly don't want to add an injury into the mix. I will continue to push myself as much as my body feels comfortable.  I am taking tomorrow...well today off which will be much needed rest.  I would still like to be able to get in a 12 mile run within the next two weeks but we will see, I can't get too greedy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I thought for sure you would have skipped yesterday. I'm impressed. And jealous. I find myself seductively eyeing runners I pass in my car. I'm fearful of the sexual harrassment charges I'll face when I finally get the nerve to slow down my automobile and carress said runners. Keep your eyes peeled on your runs, I'm trouble.

Mike said...

Haha thanks. I actually was wondering if I would have been able to make it 10 yesterday had I not done the 7 on Sautrday. I for sure would have had to head over to Wakefield though, there is no way I could safely run 10 miles on the streets of Burlington if there is snow on the ground.