Thursday, January 28, 2010

Poor Timing

So today was an odd day, it was as far as I saw above freezing all day then around 1pm it started snowing.  I wasn't sure how much snow to expect since I never watch the weather but I was wishing I could run then before too much snow accumulated.  Then I ended up talking to my friend Jim about meeting up in Wakefield for an easy 10 miles.  So we decided to meet up at 6pm and we'd learn later how bad an idea that was.

The snow in the afternoon didn't really stick to the ground at least not the pavement it was mostly just melting.  The snow seemed to stop close to when it was time to run and as I drove over I noticed the temp had then dropped below freezing.  As I pulled into the parking lot and we got ready to run suddenly blizzard conditions hit the lake.  It didn't last very long but it was heavy enough to put a layer of snow over all the pavement  within maybe 5 minutes.  There were no tire tracks from when I drove in but it was clearly covered when we started our run.  A thin layer of snow normally wouldn't be a big deal but since all the snow previous had just been melting and the temp was dropping the snow that had just fallen was covering a thin sheet of ice pretty much around the whole route we were running.  Now the plan was to run 10 miles and as we went along my legs were feeling worse and not like they were loosening up so I wasn't looking forward to the rest of the run.  Anyway we finished our first lap kinda a slower than normal pace because of all the slipping.  It really felt like at some points it was trying to run across the frozen lake instead of on pavement.  Anyway we started the second lap and in my head I was thinking since my legs had no felt any better that I might just make it 2 laps instead of 3.  That would have been fine until we approached one side where it was apparently much more slippery and Jim went down pretty hard.  Going down with his full weight on his right shoulder he was hurting. After waiting for the pain to subside and debating on weather we should cut the run short or not.  Instead of finishing that lap we just turned and headed back since we were not yet half way.  He has his snow shoe national qualifier race this weekend and I didn't care if I cut it short or not since my legs felt crappy.  We finished the run in 42 minutes and it was probably between 5.25 and 5.5 but I'm just going to call it 5 since I don't really care to map it out.

To complete the night when I got home after the run the power was out, either strong winds or some idiot that can't drive in winter conditions took out a pole and knocked the power out who knows.  Anyway so instead of getting some candles going and showering by candle light I just gave my friend a call and got some clothes and headed over to shower there and hang out for a bit.  Now it's approaching 10pm I am home again trying to figure out what I want for a late dinner.

2 comments:

DoubleJ said...

5.3 miles... just under 8 min pace for horrendous footing is pretty decent... My shoulder is actually ok now and my freakin' back is stiff. The opposite side from where I fell on. I think I did tweak it when I tried to stay on my feet at the last second....It started to get tight on the way home...and traffic BLEW going north... oh well... thanks for meeting me down there anyways....next time we'll go the full route!

Mike said...

Damn that sucks, get some ice on it and make Kris take care of it! Traffic blows it was fine for me going home not that it was great I just got home to a completely pitch black house.

Good luck this weekend btw.