Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Conflicting Interests?

So as I move forward and backward on my journey back into shape as expected there are plenty of things getting in the way.  Some maybe shouldn't be an issue others maybe they should.  One thing that has come up recently that could cause me to alter my goals and training is football.  My friends and I have seriously started looking into getting a competitive flag football team together and playing in a league.  This of course is a great thing because on any given day if I had the option to do anything playing football is likely to be a top 5 choice every time.    

This is something that could work out very well for me or not well at all.  What it comes down to is if I come home from work on a Friday night and I can either go for a run or meet with my friends(teammates) for a football practice, I'll be taking practice.  One because I love to football but two because I'm going to be running the offense for this football team so basically a captain/coach in addition to being a player so it becomes more difficult to skip practices.  That being the case it will force me to alter my running schedule.  Something I should probably do anyway but am not forced to do unless we go through with this football team.  If I start doing my distance training in the mornings it simplifies everything.  Then at that point the only thing I have to worry about are injuries between over training and all the stop and go cutting that is involved with football it could beat up my body more than I can handle.  After all I am closing in on 30 and have been out of shape for a while.

These kinds of situations though I have never really handled well in the past though football vs running really isn't as big of an issue as others.  When it comes down to what I want versus what is best for me I end up doing something other than picking one or the other.  Sometimes I've tried to force the things together, other times it's waiting it out and hoping that what I wanted eventually became what was best.  Either way it rarely works out.  These decisions are something I end up spending more time on than they are worth because I tend to do that with everything in my life.  When you do that you end up a whole lot worse off than had you just accepted something for what it is instead of what you either thought it was or hoped it was.

Anyway enough off topic ramblings for today.  What it comes down to is I need to start running in the mornings and forcing my sleeping problems to go away.  Being wide awake until somewhere between 2am and 6am just isn't going to help anything and needs to stop.  I suppose being awake as much as I am I have no reason to not blog more but oh well you have to deal with it.  I  will keep you posted on progress in the future.

No comments: