Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mount Washington


So yesterday I made a trip up to Mt Washington to watch the 50th anniversary road race that was also the US mountain running championships.  The day didn't exactly have the best start, I didn't finish everything I had to do Friday night till sometime around midnight which was later then I wanted to go to bed.  It certainly didn't help that I could then not fall asleep, the last time I checked the time it was 2:30 so who knows when I actually did.

The 5am alarm wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I got up and was on the road by 5:30.  I am almost ashamed to say this was my first trip ever to Mt. Washington and even just the drive there was worth it, I took the route through Franoncia and was amazed.  I would have really liked to stop and take some pictures but I didn't really have time to do so and I take pretty awful pictures in general so it probably wouldn't have been worth it.

I made really good time and arrived at the base of the auto road just shy of 8:30 and met up with Jim Johnson.  Jim was nice enough to find a ride with a friend of his well he was running his girl friend I think was driving, maybe his wife I'm not sure.  Either way I can't remember her name but we had a nice chat on the way up so that was good.  There was plenty of time at the summit to enjoy the views before the runners made it up there so at least my first trip up there I had a chance to take my time.

Jim had a great race turning in his best time of 1:08 and change(I'm too lazy to look that up)  which was impressive considering it was pretty hot the whole way up the mountain.  Seeing some of the people finish was incredible, there were people completing it that I would say had no business running a flat race forget up a mountain.  It's one of those things that watching it made me think that it's a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone and that I should have been running too.

Maybe I'll add some more pictures later but I gotta run now so until then you'll just have to wait.

2 comments:

DoubleJ said...

Mike, good stuff. You know, I'm sorry we didn't get a photo together up there....my bad. We'll have to go back for a hike if you're up for it. Thanks again for going...it was cool having you up there....

Mike said...

No problem man, it was a great time. I wish I had been able to sleep the night before so I could have had some more fun. I was literally falling asleep on the ride home, I had to go find a grocery store and pick up 2 redbulls so i could make it home. I will definitely be going back next year, lets just hope by then I'll be running.

I'll go back and hike sometime too if you ever have a free weekend.